Different ways to to use essential oils
Essential oils are very effective and work very well with a headache as they work on the olfactory system governing smell. You can use essential oils in a number of ways.
- If you are using them for massage, dilute them in a base oil e.g. mix 5-10 drops of each essential oil (up to a maximum of four oils) with 50 ml of base oil such as wheatgerm, avocado, sweet almond, sunflower oil, really any base oil. Only mix up small quantities as they only keep for a couple of months.
- If you are using them for baths, add a maximum of 7 drops to your bathwater in total. You can dilute the drops in an oil, e.g. coconut, or jojoba but any oil is fine or even some milk (about 3 teaspoons- 1 tablespoon).
- You can use essential oils for inhalation, adding 2-3 drops (5 drops maximum) to steaming water, covering your head with a towel to benefit from the inhalation.
- You can burn essential oils, in a diffuser, adding a few drops to water.
- You can add essential oils to a ribbon or tissue for room scent.
Some Essential Oils to Ease Headaches and Migraines
- Peppermint oil is an excellent anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, health-promoting, good for respiratory system and circulation. Also good for migraines. You can even dab a little, diluted in oil, onto the temples (not too close to the eyes).
- Lavender has many healing qualities and combines well with peppermint. Lavender acts as a natural pain relief. It is an anti-depressant, helpful in the treatment of burns and scalds, a natural antibiotic, promotes healing, a mood tonic. The list goes on. A wonderful addition to any essential oil collection and combines well with other oils.
- Roman Chamomile is an effective anti-inflammatory and acts as a muscle relaxant.
- Eucalyptus can be added, a few drops, to steaming water for inhalation. It helps to relieve congestion.
- Ginger. This isn’t strictly-speaking something you find as an essential oil but does have a distinctive aroma! You could add some boiling water to either fresh ginger or ginger powder and then inhale the steam.